The Realm of the Verbal Processor

Jarvis's Ramblings

Build and Capture Task Sequence Failure

I have fought with this before and didn’t figure it out. Been fighting with it again and finally made an educated guess that has since been backed up by finding a thread to support my findings.

I created a Task Sequence in SCCM to “Build and capture a reference operating system image”. I am using the Vista SP1 DVD that I imported into Operating System Install Packages. It gets part of the way through the install, and then fails. By opening a command prompt on the machine running the Task Sequence (F8), I was able to look at the log files. In looking at the x:windowstempsmstslogsmsts.log log file, I saw an entry that stated “Windows Setup Failed, code 31”. That was followed by “Exiting with code 80004005“. Not a lot of help. Then I found the x:\windows\temp\smstslog\windowssetuplogs\setuperr.log log file. That contained the following lines:

Callback_Productkey_Validate: EditionID for product key was NULL.
Callback_Productkey_Validate: An error occurred writing the product key data to the blackboard.
Callback_Productkey_Validate_Unattend:Invalid product key; halting Setup.[gle=0x00000490]
Callback_Productkey_Validate_Unattend: An error occurred preventing setup from being able to validate the product key; hr = 0x80300006[gle=0x00000490]

Now…I know that my volume license product key is good. I’ve been using it for a long time. Just for grins I popped the Vista DVD in a spare computer and confirmed it. Why is it telling me the license key is invalid?

So here comes the educated guess. I modified the Task Sequence to not use a Product Key…just left that field blank. Hmmm…the install works perfectly fine. That led me to search on something different and find this thread. Basic gist is that if you are using a Task Sequence to install an OS using an Operating System Install Package, you should NOT specify a product key. Perhaps that is documented somewhere, but I haven’t seen it. It is however doggone frustrating to have wasted as much time as I have on this problem.

Advertisements

February 27, 2008 - Posted by | ConfigMgr | , , ,

16 Comments »

1. Hey,

how did you solve your problem? when i leave the product key empty i get the question for it during the setup.

did you create a pid.txt? how does that file looks like ? any special syntax ? maybe you can help me.

thanks

Comment by HighRisk | March 3, 2008

2. The Build and Capture task sequence is used to automate the build of a reference computer. What you are creating with the Build and Capture is an “image” that you will use another Task Sequence to deploy. The build and capture TS is using an “Operating System Install Package” (essentially an uploaded CD/DVD of the original install media) to build your reference computer and then uploading a WIM file. You actually won’t use this task sequence to directly deploy a computer.

After it is uploaded, you will go to the “Operating System Images” portion of OSD (directly above the “Operating System Install Packages” section). In there, you will click “Add Operating System Image” and point it to the WIM that you created with the Build and Capture TS.

You will use another TS to deploy that WIM file to hardware. That Task Sequence is where you put the product key. When it deploys, it will use that key, and you won’t get prompted for it.

Comment by Jarvis | March 3, 2008

3. Thank you Jarvis.
    Your post saved me hours of searching.
    I had this error 80004005 too.
    It works now !

Comment by hanna | March 19, 2008

4. Glad it helped Hanna. The 80004005 code is always so helpful [sarcasm]. That’s why I loved Johan’s description of it!

Comment by Jarvis | March 19, 2008

5. Thank YOU! We’ve been looking for this error for almost two working days now. Thanks again!

Comment by Mathias | March 27, 2008

6. Had the same error…and this fixed it. So random :)

Thanks for the blog post, it saved the day.

Comment by Chris | April 11, 2008

7. Thankyou very much! This has been driving me nuts for days :)

Comment by Daniel | October 2, 2008

8. hello everybody,

i love this post. we added to much drivers to our TS. i deleted them and the Build and Capture Task Sequence Failure was gone. the 0x80004005 error wasn’t there anymore. now i can test the rest of the setup proces.

Comment by a.kamman | January 21, 2009

9. Hi Jarvis

brilliant. I took me a couple of day to solve all the other issues I had and only a blink for this fault due this blog.

Thanks
    Joachim

Comment by Joachim | June 29, 2009

10. leaving the licence code field empty worked for me. I’ve had this problem with windows 7 x64

Comment by W. Wolting | August 19, 2009

11. Holy moly. What a bloody waste of 3 days. Grrrrrrrrr. Having tracked down the hidden logs files in x:\windows\temp\smstslog\windowssetuplogs\, this basically confirms my hunch. Thanks for the post.

PS: Why can’t the error messages be more thoughtful? Or at least give us trace32.exe for x64 in WinPE! Oh, and how about putting the logs altogether Microsoft!

Comment by Tubs | August 25, 2009

12. It can be drivers causing this problem. In the apply drivers task limit to the model.

Comment by Jay Connor | November 20, 2009

13. I haven’t seen drivers cause this problem, however this post is about the build and capture task sequence which you use to create the image that will be used with the deploy task sequence. There shouldn’t be any reference to hardware models for driver management in this task sequence. The image should always be built on a virtual machine to eliminate the extraneous drivers from the image.

Comment by Jarvis | November 23, 2009

14. THANK YOU JARVIS!!! SOLVED

Comment by Dale | January 8, 2010

15. Thanks, i had the same error! Solved

Comment by Mark | May 14, 2010

16. You rock – this was driving me nuts – especially seeing as I am running all this on a laptop at a clients site

Comment by Neonteepee | May 18, 2010